Beyond Data Dashboards: The Effects of Social Performance Visualizations on Learner Progress and Peer-to-Peer Interaction
COIL is proud to support the Beyond Data Dashboards: The Effects of Social Performance Visualizations on Learner Progress and Peer-to-Peer Interaction project through our Research Initiation Grant Program.
This project uses shared visual representations of real time, in-course, student activity and performance data to increase learners’ engagement with course materials, and to increase help-seeking and help-giving behaviors in both online and face-to-face sections of a course. Building on promising but preliminary research conducted by colleagues at other universities, our investigation will use data periodically extracted from the course management system (Canvas) to drive attractive, informative, dynamic images designed to inform learners of the progress they are making, as well as the progress of other members of their cohort and class, and by students in other course sections as well. Unlike “data dashboards” that provide data in charts or graphs, our “Social Performance Visualizations” (SPVs) will be designed to promote interactions among classmates, scaffolding self-regulation skills and providing peer-to-peer support that is often minimal in online courses.
- Nicole Wang (PI): Doctoral Student in Learning Design, & Technology, College of Education, University Park
- Amy Garbrick: Director of the Office of Learning Design, College of Information Sciences and Technology (IST), University Park
- Dr. Andrea Gregg: Online Learning Research, Penn State World Campus, University Park
- Sonya Leitzell: Director of Academic Affairs, Penn State World Campus, University Park
- Dr. Kyle Peck: Professor of Education, Learning Design, & Technology Program, College of Education, University Park
- Dr. Bart Pursel: Faculty Programs Coordinator, Teaching and Learning with Technology, Education Technology Services, University Park
- Dr. Martin Yeh: Assistant Professor of Information, Science, & Technology, Penn State Brandywine
Leave a Reply