Volunteer as a RIG Reviewer
The Center for Online Innovation in Learning is requesting your help as a reviewer for our Research Initiation Grants. If you have an interest in and/or experience with online innovation related to teaching and learning, please consider this important opportunity.
If you agree to review proposals for us, you will be asked to review three to six proposals. The proposals are brief. Each will have a cover page, an abstract, and a five-page body, with a very simple budget and perhaps supporting documentation. Criteria for scoring the proposals have been developed into a comprehensive rubric intended to simplify the review process. Based on past experience, we estimate that reviewing your set of proposals and entering your scores into the online form will take between two and three hours. If you choose to participate:
- Reviewer training sessions will be held from 10:00am – 11:00am and from 2:00pm – 3:00pm on November 15th. You can access them at https://meeting.psu.edu/coil. I will also email recordings to all reviewers.
- You will be assigned proposals to review by November 16th and will have until November 30th to submit your reviews.
- The reviews will be compiled quickly and the compiled results (with reviewer names masked) will be redistributed to the reviewers by the end of the day on December 1st.
- On December 5th from 3:00pm to 4:30pm ET, the reviewers will meet, either face-to-face or in via Adobe Connect, for a meeting to discuss promising proposals and to rank them for funding. During this meeting there can be discussion to better understand ratings that may appear to be outliers, and the group can discuss questions that come up. (You can still be a reviewer if you can’t attend the meeting.)
- Some reviewers will be assigned as “chief advocates” for proposals, and will be tasked with representing their proposal during the reviewer meeting.
- At the end of that meeting, a set of recommendations will be sent to the COIL Co-Directors, which we will use to make our final decisions.
If interested, please fill out the short form below. If you have any questions please contact Brad Zdenek at firstname.lastname@example.org.